Sombody asked me if it was possible to “go infinite” with the new Teferi (C14) and The Chain Veil (M15). Here’s the way I’ve found to do it. I’m sure there are others.
- Teferi. We’ll use his -1 to untap the Chain Veil and our mana sources.
- The Chain Veil. We’ll use this to re-use Teferi.
- Mana Rocks. We’ll need the ability to make at least 9 mana with three permanents or fewer. At least one of that mana needs to be blue. (Three copies of something that taps for 3 of anything, like Gilded Lotus, is one way to do this; one permanent that taps for a lot like Tolarian Academy is another. Just remember that we need to make blue mana for Viral Drake.)
- Viral Drake. Spending Mana to proliferate lets us put more counters on Teferi so he won’t die. (Somebody suggested Ajani Steadfast, but Ajani would die himself after several activations, so he doesn’t let us go infinite.)
How it works:
- Tap your Gilded Lotuses (or what have you) for mana. Name blue for at least one of the Lotuses; the color for the others doesn’t matter.
- Activate Teferi’s -1 ability. Target the three Gilded Lotuses and The Chain Veil.
- Activate The Chain Veil. You now have 5 mana left in your pool.
- Activate Viral Drake’s ability to proliferate, putting an additional loyalty counter on Teferi. You now have 1 mana left in your pool.
Each time you repeat will net you one extra mana. Loop any number of times for essentially limitless mana.